Friday, April 6, 2012

The DNA of an Mutt: to be Continued.....


A couple of weeks ago I ordered a DNA test kit for my rescue mutt, CeCe, and it has finally arrived!! Now I just have to do a couple of cheek swabs, send it back in the envelope, and wait for the results.

The company I'm using, Wisdom Panel, claims to have the largest DNA database of breeds available on the market, at 190 breeds. I figure this should give us a pretty good chance of determining what exactly this little ginger mutt of mine is. We've had lots of guesses from interested folks, including Shelti, Basenji, Finnish Spitz, Jack Russell, Beagle, and a bunch of others.

The Wisdom Panel website lists some of the reasons for DNA testing your mutt:

"A dog’s ancestry can influence him in surprising ways. Obvious and not-so-obvious physical traits plus behaviors like digging, herding and barking all come from the various breeds in a dog’s family tree. Once an owner understands a dog’s natural tendencies, it makes it possible to create a tailored training, exercise and nutrition program to fit his one-of-a-kind needs."

And it's true; the more you know, the more you can do for your dog. Of course I don't really care what breeds CeCe turns out to be (I'll love her even if I did accidentally adopt a terrier), but I'm sooooo curious to know, and eager to gain any insight I can into her genetics.

I will post the results as soon as I get them. I can't recall ever being so excited to get back test results!!!!

For more information on Wisdom Panel Canine DNA Testing, visit:

http://www.wisdompanel.com/

No comments: